Thursday, May 6, 2010

Driving


I have spent a lot of time
behind the wheel this year, early in the morning, late at night, in town, out of town, just one passenger to all seats filled - more time than I ever thought was possible! A few short years ago I remember being in complete denial that the kids would ever drive, it was the same feeling I had about them starting Kindergarten when they were first born and every other milestone that has come and gone. Each time a new transition approaches a natural shift occurs that allows us acceptance of the change, them being old enough to drive is no exception.... for the most part. I was taking B. to an orthodontist appointment, just the two of us, and we were having a really nice conversation about his day, my day and what the plans were for this evening. I realized that some of our best talks have been while I am taking him somewhere; to a friend's house, a haircut, school and suddenly that comfort I had been feeling from the natural shift went out the window. I am really ready for them to drive, it will make everything so much easier, I won't have to plan everything around their schedule, I might even be able to get rid of the mini van! I suddenly started thinking about all the haircuts, Dr. appointments, games, movies, etc. and the time we have on those short trips. It is a little different with boys, the conversations need to happen in short segments and sometimes the things that need to be said are easier when we don't have to make eye contact, in the car there is no basketball to shoot and so we just sit and visit. So this time the natural shift is making me think, I need to start creating opportunities so we will still have that time. Today also made me wonder if I'll know when the last time I take him to the barber will be?

This seems appropriate for this post, mom sent it to me the other day.





1 comment:

  1. Dangit, thanks alot. That embrace life segment made me tear up.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!