Friday, May 28, 2010

The Moggy






We always called M. sweetpea when she was little, at one point someone asked her what her name was and she replied, "SweetPea". We don't call her that anymore, but trust me when I tell you this, she truly is a sweetpea. She also has a blanket, actually it is her "moggy". The moggy has been loved by M. for 15 years, the same one and no repairs have been made. Today we were hanging the sheets on the line and I pulled that tattered moggy out of the basket and I had to give it a little hug myself. Just yesterday she gave me a piece of art that is a clear sign of her maturity, a picture of her development into a beautiful young woman and today I hang the moggy on the line. The worn edges from her fingers rubbing it every night, the holes from 15 years of washing and the thin threads that make it transparent. She will sleep with it again tonight and when I go in to check on her before I go to bed, her moggy will be right up under her chin, right where it has been for the past 15 years. I will kiss her forehead and whisper, "goodnight sweetpea", just like I have done for the past 15 years.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing names children (course I know she's not a child anymore) give their favorite blankets and stuffed animals. This is such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sigh. this tugs at my heart. i am so glad your big girl still loves moggy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!