Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Strawberries!





Last night I said we could get up at 8AM, make omelets and then leave to go pick strawberries. I was anticipating a resounding, "Are you kidding me? I am not getting up at 8!" Instead - they all went to bed early and were actually excited for the outing - and that, my friends, is what I love about the beginning of summer vacation. We are all ready for a break from friends, work, routine and we are ready to reconnect as a family. The feeling of summer might be my very favorite time of the whole year, especially the mornings. There is that feeling of getting everything done, but not having a time limit. Exercising, walking the dog, watering the plants, daily chores all seem less daunting on summer mornings. Do you know one thing I have always (I mean my whole life) loved about summer.... seeing all the mowing trucks, construction trucks heading to their job sites early in the morning! I don't know why, but that always makes me feel like it is summer - weird-O!
I notice that the kids revert back a few years when summer begins - building forts in the basement, helping me cook, legos, old TV shows, trips to the library etc. It feels just as good to me as it does to them.
The picking was a great time - a skunk crossed in front of our van and turned to spray at us, I hit the entrance flags with the van, totally took them out and luckily for me (and M.) the cute high school boy working there just laughed and fixed it, AND we had to save a snapping turtle in the road. 10 pounds of berries later and we are good to go! B and I cleaned and sliced them all as soon as we got home.
This afternoon we are off to the library to check out books for the summer reading list.

I haven't seen this but I want to!
I am going to find this! If you check the link, you MUST click on "meet the flavors"!

1 comment:

  1. Now why does the skunk encounter, hitting the entrance flags and saving the turtle not surprise me? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!