Friday, June 18, 2010

My Fridays


The past eight months I have been taking Communion to a friend of mine who is really fighting hard to beat cancer. She is going through all the ups and downs of chemo - the nausea, the fatigue, weight loss - all of it. I get there every Friday at about 7:15 AM and her front door is always open, she is sitting on the couch or lying in her bed and every week she is so eager to receive. The time we are together is short, about 15 or 20 minutes, but it is the most powerful part of my week because not only is she fighting her cancer, she is also supporting her dear husband who is quickly losing his battle with cancer. About 2 months ago while I was there, Julia let me know that she was going to take a break from her chemo, she said she needed her strength back for a little while. At that time we knew that Jim's cancer had returned, and so quietly, without saying out loud what she knew in her heart, Julia began to prepare to help her husband at the end of his young life. Julia will go back to see her oncologist in a couple of weeks and her team will determine how much longer she can go without treatment so she can feel strong and well and can love her husband until death do they part.
These are the things that define my faith, they used to be the things that made me question my faith - "why them?" "where are you in all of this?" These moments speak to me, they change who I am inside and make me a better person, a better wife, mother, daughter and friend. Her strength, the love they have for each other as husband and wife, her sacrifice that she makes in order to truly be with him for every one of his final moments, these are the places I see God. Next week I will take this little gold locket to Julia's and she will receive nourishment and strength, and so will I.
If it's not too much to ask, would you say a little prayer for Jim and Julia, they need all the strength they can get right now. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say, except I am sure Julia is so thankful for you (and now I'm all teary.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me so sad.I will keep them both in my prayers.
    Sending well wishes from Jersey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. An update - Jim lost his battle July 5th. Julia had great news last week, her tumors are shrinking and she will be able to go through the holidays with no chemo treatments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!