Friday, September 3, 2010

fire escapes


I parked on the top level of the parking garage the other day, I've never parked up that high and when I got out of the car I took a minute to look around and noticed this fire escape. I have walked down below in this alley many, many times and have never noticed it. I have never known it was there but I am sure the people who live in that apartment depend on it, trust it and are so glad to have it, to know it is there 24 hours each day.
I woke up the next morning and my inbox had an e-mail that had been written in the middle of a sleepless night, by a very dear friend whose heart was aching with worry about her children. My heart ached right along with her and then it hit me, she needed a fire escape, our friendships all need fire escapes. There has to be a part of us that will bolt on and stay there through every storm, it doesn't have to look pretty, but it has to be maintained and it has to be strong. We go along this journey of life with our friends and family and for the most part we all enjoy the ride, but every once in while we need to step outside, look around and make sure we are still carrying a fire escape for each other. And to those of you who are carrying one for me... thank you! I depend on it, I trust it and I'm so glad to have it!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post Leslie and I like how you use the fire escape as a metaphor. I'm sure your friend is thankful you are her fire escape.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!