Thursday, October 7, 2010

in the dark

My alarm clock goes off at 4:30 each morning, it has for the last 15 years.  The hardest part is getting out of bed, once I do that, the rest makes my day.  I get my running clothes on, have one small cup of coffee and then head up to the stop sign on the corner and we meet.  There are three of us right now, the numbers grow and shrink throughout the year, but 98% of the time there is at least one other person at the stop sign.  We run, but the running is secondary.  We talk, we laugh, we listen, we are there for each other.  It is a strange relationship, running partners - we can't see each other, it is still so dark, we don't work together, our kids aren't in school together, we don't talk much during the day, yet these are my people.  We have been there in sickness and in health, through richer and poorer, the good times and the bad.  Every word spoken in the dark is spoken in confidence, we don't even have to say that, it just is.  We are authentic among each other, they are oh so dear to me. There is one who I have run with the whole time, when I turned 40 I calculated that she and I have run an estimated 10,000 miles together.  She is on a college visit with her oldest right now, we have a lot of "running" to do over the next few years.
We have very few guidelines:
if it is raining so hard you can hear it from you bed, we don't go.
if there is ice, we don't go.
if there is lightning in the WEST, we don't go.
if the temp. is below 20, we check e-mail before we go.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do it. Getting up that early.
    I like how you describe how tight you and your running pals are, the confidence you have in one another.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!