Wednesday, October 27, 2010

a lull


There is a two week lull at the end of October - between sports, after conferences, start of a new school quarter.  Last night we were all home by 5:00 for dinner together, homework done by 7:00.  We had two hours of family time, telling stories about Grandpa's coaching days, watching a computer program B had made and just hanging out together.  A couple of years ago I made a concious decision to stop serving on boards, chairing committees, etc. until this house was not a bustling center for kids.  These are the nights I am so thankful for that decision, we took everything outside for dinner and built a fire in the chiminea.  B and I had a glass of wine, we all laughed, stayed at the table for a long time and the best part was that I felt relaxed and enjoyed the time.  A few years ago I would be hurrying through dinner, gritching about what needed to be done before I got home and then hustling off to some meeting.   Don't get me wrong, service is a very important part of what we teach our children, but service has to be from your heart and has to come from a good place.... why would our kids ever want to serve if it looked like "mean mom"?  So I am on committees, I step up when needed and I still make a difference - but there is a balance now.  I look forward to the years when and I can invest time, energy and heart into a cause that I feel strongly about.   For now, I am right where I need to be, doing what I need to do and it feels really good.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had your wisdom now...at this point in my life. You have no idea how you described my life and are now making me re-think the way things are...I try to do too much, all of the time and who suffers? My family. Thanks, Leslie, for putting it all out there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!