Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent and spilled milk


I'll admit it, during the last couple of months our family dinners have started down a slippery slope.  It started with people needing to hurry up and eat so they could get to basketball practice, then some were hurrying so they could work on homework, some were not feeling well so they would eat and then head back to sick mode.  Bottom line, our time sitting together as a family was down to about 10 minutes.... max.  So yesterday, Ash Wednesday, I made a proposal.  "How about this year for Lent we all make time for each other.  Can we give 30 minutes each night to being together at the table?"  They are all on board.  I got the table set, dinner ready, camera out so I could write this post, everyone seated and just like that the oldest one spilled his huge glass of milk.  Those of you who know me will know that sitting there for 30 minutes waiting to clean up that mess just about did me in..... but I did it, I let it go.  That mess stayed there the whole time, but for 30 minutes last night, nobody had to think about it or deal with it.  I let their stories, their laughter take the place.  Then I realized there were a lot of other messes at the table last night that we couldn't see, and for 30 minutes, all of their owners could let them go.  And isn't that what Lent is supposed to do, open up a little place in your heart, let something go so good can take the place.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie--you are so wise. Thank for this post, I needed it today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!