Thursday, May 12, 2011

On fox and hostas...




K. and I were walking up to the stop sign this morning, at 5:30, and were met there by two or three police officers, on foot and in a patrol car.  Someone in our neighborhood had heard screaming and called 911 thinking there was an attack happening.  There is a mother fox and her kits living under a back deck right down our street and we told the officer we thought the screaming might have been the kits calling or the mom out hunting rabbit for breakfast.  We have been fortunate the past few years to have a fox in our neighborhood - not only are they beautiful animals, they are keeping the rabbit population under control.  Proof - the hostas with full leaves, not a nibble to be seen and they are right out in the unprotected open.  I'm sure as soon as I post this, it will be jinxed and there will only be stems tomorrow morning.... I'll make sure and post a picture of that, too.  I'll try to get a picture of the fox family.... but you know what they say, "it takes a fox to catch a fox", and believe me, when it comes to being sneaky, I'm no fox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!