Sunday, January 22, 2012

homemade meatballs









Yesterday, my extended family all came to my house.  While the guys unloaded firewood, worked on this table and watched basketball, the rest of us made 450!!! homemade swedish meatballs for the freezer.  So fun!  We all laughed, worked, talked - I can see how women loved to get together to "make" things years ago.  There is something very satisfying about stocking up, making from scratch, doing it together, making memories along the way.  Each time I pull a bag out of the freezer this winter, I'll think back on yesterday and probably smile a little at something that was said or just a picture of the day.  

The recipe is below - my friend Jill made these for our family when I had Simon, 12 years ago.  I've been making them each winter since, they are great to have on hand.

3 lb. ground beef
12 oz. evaporated milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cracker crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. chili powder
Mix above ingredients and form into balls.  Freeze in single layer

Sauce (for 10 - 12 meatballs)
1 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Bake at 350 for about an hour.  Serve over rice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!