Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A lot to think about



There is a lot to think about today.  A husband in this group was diagnosed with ALS about a year ago.    I don't really know what else to say.  One of our friends put it well when she said that there isn't even a compartment in the brain for this disease.  Things are progressing quickly and it is hard to know what to do to help.  We are learning - learning that there are no dumb questions, that it is better to say that you don't know what to say or do instead of just leaving the family alone, learning that relationships can grow deeper than you ever thought they could.  He had a major setback this week and when I saw him yesterday he said he has taken a "mental hit".  We can help with meals, yard work, feeding, dressing…. but we can't help with "mental hits".  I hate that.  Also, a sweet friend who has been battling cancer for several years lost her battle this morning.  She was too young, her kids were too young, her work here wasn't finished.  Today my heart is heavy but through all of this I am learning that I am a good friend and that I have great friends and that pretty much trumps all of the sadness, the worry and the grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love to hear what you think!